Start a chat
Send instant messages to a single recipient or to a group of people within your organization. You can start a chat with one person and then add other people to your conversation to create a personal group. Or find and chat with a group to ask a question, make an announcement, or monitor a group discussion.
You can start chatting with a person or an official group, or create a personal group from the chat panel.
Click the Start chatting or create your own group icon and select the type of chat to start:
- Find Person: To chat with a person, type a name in the search field. When you select the name you want from the search results, PureCloud creates the chat room. You are ready to chat.
- Find Official Group: To chat with an official group, type a group name in the search field. When you select the name of the group from the search results, the chat room opens and is ready for a chat.
- Start a Personal Group: To start a personal group chat, type a name for your group in the Group Details field, and search for participants in the Invite People Search field. After you invite people to your personal group, click Create Group. The chat room opens. For more information about starting a personal group, see Create a chat room. Note the following when chatting with groups:
- Some groups are hidden due to group privacy settings. Groups that are not public are visible only to group members and owners.
- Group chat history is persistent. Anyone who is added to the group can view the entire group chat history back to the creation of the group.
- Chat conversations are permanent and cannot be deleted.
- In the side bar, select the Chat icon to expand the chat panel.
- Choose how you would like to view the list of chats by selecting one of the following tabs: All, People, or Groups.
- Select a chat in one of these categories to open it.
- Favorites: lists the people and groups you have favorites
- Direct messages: one-on-one chats
- Official groups: groups created by group admins
- Personal groups: on demand groups created in the chat panel
- Recently closed: chat rooms that are recently closed
- Close the chat by clicking the x next to the chat room name. The chat room moves to the Recently Closed category. To reopen the chat, select the chat name again.
You can expand the chat panel to the full width of the desktop app or browser window or hide the chat panel.
To expand the chat panel, click the Expand icon. The Expand icon is only available when the window is expandable.
To make the chat panel smaller, click the Collapse icon.
To hide the chat panel, click the Hide icon.
To display the chat panel again, click the Chat icon.
To remove a group or one-to-one chat from your conversation list by clicking the “X” that appears when you hover the mouse pointer over the chat.
The chat moves to Recently Closed where you can click to reopen it for a limited time.
- When you close a chat, you stop receiving notifications for it. However, if it is a group chat and you are a member of that group, the chat reappears whenever there is a new chat.
- Chat conversations are permanent and cannot be deleted. When you close a chat conversation, PureCloud moves the chat conversation to Recently Closed, which lists the 20 most recently closed conversations. You cannot manually clear the Recently Closed list. Older chats fall off the list as you add newer ones.