Set up an SMS short code
- Genesys Cloud CX 1 Digital Add-on II, Genesys Cloud CX 2, Genesys Cloud CX 2 Digital, Genesys Cloud CX 3, or Genesys Cloud CX 3 Digital license
An SMS short code is a five or six-digit number that you can use to send and receive SMS messages to and from mobile phones. There are two types of SMS short codes: a vanity number and a random number. A vanity short code is a specific number that you choose, while a carrier assigns a random short code to you.
Genesys only offers SMS short codes in Canada, United Kingdom, and the United States. In Canada, only the vanity SMS short code type is available. In the United Kingdom, only the random SMS short code type is available. In the United States, both the vanity and random SMS short code types are available.
To set up an SMS short code, you fill in the application form and email it to us. After we receive your form, we will review it for accuracy and then submit it to our carriers for approval. If we have questions or encounter problems, we will contact you using the email address you provide on your form. Once we complete the process, we notify you by email.
However before you begin, there are some things that you must understand and some things you must do in preparation.
At some point in time, a carrier or industry organization may audit your short code campaign for compliance with industry standards. If you fail to comply with industry standards or other short code campaign requirements, a carrier or an industry organization could demand that you change your campaign. They could also suspend your short code service. Furthermore, each carrier reserves the right to suspend short code service for any user at any time; so compliance with the above guidance is not a guarantee against suspension of service by a carrier.
It is ultimately your responsibility to ensure compliance and implement the necessary changes. If you have any questions about audits or the audit process, contact your account manager.
In addition to the wireless carrier compliance standards, there may be other compliance requirements that, depending on the nature of your text messaging campaign, you need to adhere to. The specific legal compliance requirements depend on the details of your text message campaign and local laws. You should consult with your legal counsel to ensure that your text messaging campaign complies with the wireless carriers’ standards, industry standards, and with the laws applicable to your campaign.
To make sure that you understand the compliance implications, you should review and consult the industry standards for your country:
- You must use the Availability Search to make sure that the vanity number you want is not already assigned to another company.
- The Canadian Short Code Availability Search may not accurately represent current availability. We recommend that you choose at least three different short code number combinations.
- Canadian regulations prohibit using 4 as the first number in a short code.
- CTIA Short Code Monitoring Handbook
- Messaging Principles and Best Practices for US Short Codes
- US Short Code registry
Due to the various types of carrier regulations in different countries, you are only allowed to use short codes to send and receive messages within the country in which the short code is provisioned.
For short codes provisioned in Canada, you can only send messages to and receive messages from Canadian phone numbers. If the owner of the phone number is out of the country, they may or may not receive the message. Delivery is not guaranteed.
For short codes provisioned in the United Kingdom, you can only send messages to and receive messages from UK phone numbers. If the owner of the phone number is out of the country, they may or may not receive the message. Delivery is not guaranteed.
For short codes provisioned in the United States, you can only send messages to and receive messages from US phone numbers. If the owner of the phone number is out of the country, they may or may not receive the message. Delivery is not guaranteed.
Genesys bills for SMS short code subscriptions on a quarterly basis. For more information, see Messaging Pricing.
- In Canada, only the vanity SMS short code type is available.
- In the United Kingdom, only the random SMS short code type is available.
- In the United States, both the vanity and random SMS short code types are available.
Before you fill out the form, you will want to gather some information and make some decisions.
- You need know if you want to have a random number short code or a vanity number short code. (Vanity short codes are only available in the United States and Canada.)
- In Canada, use the Canadian Short Code Availability Search
- In the United States, use the US Short Code registry
- For US and CA short code applications, you must provide a mock-up of the process that your customers will use to sign up to receive your short code messages. Include this mock-up along with your application form. For more information, see SMS short code mock-up requirements.
- You need to know your Organization ID. For more information, see How do I find my organization ID?
- If you are using your short code for sweepstakes or contests, you have to complete other documentation. To learn more, contact our SMS short code support team at GenesysCloudShortCodes@genesys.com.
- If you are using your short code to disseminate promotional or marketing information, you need to provide copies of that material along with your application form.
- The person submitting the short code application form must be authorized to make purchases on behalf of the company.
The US short code request form comes as a fillable PDF. Save the PDF to your hard disk and then using a PDF reader (such as Adobe Reader), fill in the required information. If you need any help filling out this form, feel free to contact our SMS short code support team at GenesysCloudShortCodes@genesys.com.
To ensure that your application meets carrier requirements, we review your application before we submit it to mobile carriers for approval.
- Download the short code application form for Canada.
- Download the short code application form for the United Kingdom.
- Download the short code application form for the United States.
When you complete the application, email the completed form, along with any required supporting documentation to: GenesysCloudShortCodes@genesys.com.