Series: Find, view, and link external contacts
Contact identification overview
The following permissions:
- External Contacts > Conversation > Associate
- External Contacts > Contact > View
- External Contacts > External Organization > View
With single customer view, when an interaction begins, Genesys Cloud automatically uses identity resolution to attempt to link the contact to an existing contact record.
Identity resolution makes single customer view happen with four types of contacts:
If Genesys Cloud finds a single match, it auto-links the contact:
If Genesys Cloud finds no matches, or if it finds more than one match, it uses cookie identifiers to create an ephemeral, or temporary, contact. An agent can create a new contact from the temporary contact or link a temporary contact to an existing external contact. Unlinked ephemeral contacts expire 60 days after their last interaction with your organization.
Sometimes, multiple contact records may represent a single contact. For example, a contact connects with your organization by email upon one occasion, and then the same person uses web messaging to contact your organization. Genesys Cloud allows an agent to merge the contact records. In this case, the previous contacts become aliases to the canonical contact.
|After an agent links a contact, Genesys Cloud saves it as a curated contact. Curated contacts are searchable.
For more information and examples that show how single customer view impacts External Contacts, see Single customer view examples.
Contact identification and message channel identifiers
Genesys Cloud captures message channel identifiers for messaging interactions.
- If you unlink a contact, Genesys Cloud doesn’t remove the message channel identifier.
- If an existing external contact modifies part of their social channel information and starts a new message interaction, Genesys Cloud prompts the agent to update the external contact record with the new information.