Configure ACD messaging for WhatsApp
- Genesys Cloud 3 license, Genesys Cloud User 1 Digital Upgrade II, or Genesys Cloud User 2 Digital Upgrade I
- Messaging > Integration > All permission
- WhatsApp account
- WhatsApp integration certificate
The Genesys Cloud for WhatsApp integration provides a way for your customers to use WhatsApp to interact with your agents who are using Genesys Cloud ACD messaging channels.
Before you can begin configuring ACD messaging for WhatsApp in Genesys Cloud, you need to contact us at GenesysCloudWhatsAppRequests@genesys.com to start the process. We will work on your behalf to coordinate the approval process of applying for your business to use the WhatsApp Business platform. We’ll also provide you with a WhatsApp integration certificate, after the approval process is complete.
After you have been approved and have your WhatsApp integration certificate, all you have to do is configure a few settings to connect the Genesys Cloud for WhatsApp integration to the WhatsApp Business platform and your WhatsApp account.
- Certificates expire 7 calendar days from their creation date. So make sure that you are ready to proceed with your WhatsApp configuration before you request a certificate.
- After a number is activated in Genesys Cloud, it cannot be migrated back to the WhatsApp Business App or the general WhatsApp consumer app.
- ACD messaging for WhatsApp does not support M2M numbers.
To set up your Genesys Cloud for WhatsApp integration:
- Click Admin.
- Under Message, click Platforms.
- Click Add Platform.
- Click Add in the WhatsApp Messenger tile.
- When you see the Authorization dialog box, read the contents carefully, and click Confirm.
- You have been approved by WhatsApp.
- Your certificate is valid.
If you complete the procedure, realize that you are missing required information, and then immediately delete your WhatsApp integration, you will still be charged for an entire month.
- When you see the WhatsApp Messenger dialog box:
- In the Name box, type a name that you want to assign to your WhatsApp Messenger integration.
- In the Phone Number box, using the E.164 format, enter the phone number associated with your WhatsApp account.
- In the Certificate box, enter your WhatsApp integration certificate.
- Click Save.
Activate your WhatsApp integration
When you see the status of your WhatsApp integration change to Incomplete, it is ready for activation.
- Click Finish Setup.
- You see your phone number and receive a prompt to select the method that you want to use to receive your validation code. Click either Send SMS or Voice.
- If you choose Voice activation and your phone number routes to an IVR, you must temporarily reroute the number directly to a person so the activation code can be received.
- Retrieve the validation code sent to your phone number by the method you chose.
- Type the code in the Enter the validation code box and click OK. The status of your WhatsApp integration will show Pending.
- In a few minutes, you see that the status of your WhatsApp integration is Active.
Request a QR code and short link for your WhatsApp number
After you have your WhatsApp integration up and running, you can associate a QR code/short link with your WhatsApp integration. This allows your customers to use WhatsApp to initiate a conversation with your agents in Genesys Cloud by scanning a QR code or entering/clicking a numeric short code. For more information, see New Ways to Reach a Business on WhatsApp.
To request a QR code/short link for your WhatsApp integration, download the Request a WhatsApp QR code form.
Return the completed form to GenesysCloudWhatsAppRequests@genesys.com.