Functions an Edge provides
The PureCloud Edge is a cloud managed network appliance that provides telephony for the PureCloud solution. Edge combines a media server, SIP registrar, and SIP proxy into a single piece of hardware. You configure and manage Edge appliances and other telephony functions through the PureCloud user interface. Every Edge provides the following features:
- SIP gateway: Connects a SIP network to other networks which use different protocols or technologies. (If the carrier/PSTN connectivity is via TDM trunks (such as a T1 or E1), a 3rd party digital/analog gateway is required. Genesys sells Audiocodes Mediant gateways for this purpose.)
- SIP proxy: Provides client and server-side call matching. A proxy interprets, and, if necessary, rewrites specific parts of a request message before forwarding it.
- Media server: Manages audio recordings.
- Call broker: Provides call routing for inbound and outbound calls.
- Disaster recovery: When disconnected from the PureCloud service, an Edge falls back into a remote survivability mode in which it can offer basic telephony services, such as auto-attendant, fallback IVR, DID, extension dialing, voicemail, consult, transfer, fax, and local conferencing.
- Phone provisioning: Provides configuration settings for SIP phones.
Each Edge belongs to an Edge group and has an association with a site.
- Associating an Edge with an Edge group gives the Edge access to the trunks connected to other Edges in the Edge group.
- Associating the Edge with a site enables the system to provide location-based call routing.