Functions a BYOC Premises Edge provides
Regardless of which BYOC Premises hardware solution you use, the premises-based, BYOC Premises Edge operates as a cloud managed network appliance that provides telephony service for Genesys Cloud. A premises-based Edge combines a media server, SIP registrar, and SIP proxy into a single piece of hardware. You configure and manage a premises-based Edge appliances and other telephony functions through the Genesys Cloud user interface. Every Edge provides the following features:
- SIP gateway: Connects a SIP network to other networks which use different protocols or technologies. (If the carrier/PSTN connectivity is via TDM trunks, such as a T1 or E1, a 3rd party digital/analog gateway is required.)
- SIP proxy: Provides client and server-side call matching. A proxy interprets, and, if necessary, rewrites specific parts of a request message before forwarding it.
- Media server: Manages audio recordings.
- Call broker: Provides call routing for inbound and outbound calls.
- Phone provisioning: Provides configuration settings for SIP phones.
Each premises-based Edge belongs to an Edge group and has an association with a site.
- Associating an Edge with an Edge group gives the Edge access to the trunks connected to other Edges in the Edge group.
- Associating the Edge with a site enables the system to provide location-based call routing.