Based on the capabilities of the SIP provider, a BYOC Premises Edge requires or does not require a SIP proxy between a premises-based Edge and a SIP provider.
No SIP proxy required
A premises-based Edge does not require a SIP Proxy if the SIP provider meets both of the following requirements:
- A SIP provider can sequentially roll calls, load balance, or percentage allocate between a list of IP address endpoints supplied by the customer.
- A SIP provider has enough individual physical network interface ports on the SIP carrier device to have a physical port available for each Edge device.
For inbound calls, the carrier distributes calls among the Edges. For outbound calls, Edges load balance with randomization.
Note: Multiple premises-based Edges can process calls at the same time. You should not route calls to a single Edges but distribute the calls among multiple Edges.
Steps for direct connection without a SIP proxy
- Determine that the SIP provider can sequentially roll calls through a list of IP addresses.
- Determine that the SIP provider has enough individual physical network interface ports on the SIP carrier device to have a physical port available for each Edge.
- Physically connect a single port to a single Edge for all Edges.
- Configure an IP address for the Edge. See Configure a network interface for a BYOC Premises Edge.
- Provide a list of your configured IP addresses to the SIP provider and request that the SIP provider sequentially roll inbound calls through those IP addresses.